Shawn G. Rice
Shawn Rice practices primarily in the areas of mergers & acquisitions, corporate, business, real estate, banking & finance and estate planning. Shawn provides counsel and strategic direction to business clients and individuals, guiding them through a variety of transactional matters. Shawn focuses his practice on business, corporate and commercial matters. He advises businesses of all types and sizes, from closely-held, family companies to multi-national corporations.
He has extensive experience providing counsel on general business matters such as start-up and formation, limited liability companies, joint ventures and partnerships, corporate governance, shareholder relations, bank and other financing, securities, real estate matters, and contracts including venture capital, franchises, employment, vendors and consulting arrangements. Shawn also maintains an active practice assisting clients with mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, including leveraged buy-outs and business succession planning. Shawn also represents local non-profit organizations and financial institutions.
- Representing buyers and sellers in the acquisition and divestiture of various international, national, regional and local businesses
- General counsel for numerous manufacturers, franchises, entrepreneurs and service companies
- Representing various local and Wisconsin-based lending institutions and non-profit entities
- Representing financial institutions and distressed businesses and their owners in restructuring and workout transactions
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures including asset purchases and sales, stock purchases and sales, and entity conversions
- Structuring and formation of legal entities including limited liability companies, corporations, non-profit and tax-exempt entities and partnerships
State of Wisconsin, 1993; Eastern District of Wisconsin (1993); Western District of Wisconsin (1997)
Education and Honors.
Marquette University Law School, J. D., 1993; Creighton University, B.A., 1990, cum laude
Professional Affiliations and Community Service.
Member, State Bar of Wisconsin; Member, Sheboygan County Bar Association; Member, Milwaukee Bar Association; Member, Marquette Golden Angels Investment Network; Member, Sheboygan County Estate Planning Council; Member, Employers Against Drugs Board; Board Member, Friends of St. Nicholas Hospital; Greater Sheboygan Committee; Member, Downtown Rotary Club; Member, Sheboygan Economics Club; Member, State Bar of Wisconsin Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee of Business Law
Articles, Publications, and Lectures.
Author, “Architectural Appearance Ordinances and the First Amendment,” 76 Marquette Law Review 439, 1993; Editor, Marquette Law Review; Presenter, numerous legal seminars
- Davis & Kuelthau, s.c., Milwaukee/Sheboygan, 2002-2007
- Godfrey & Kahn s.c., Milwaukee, 1998-2002
- Schreier Malting Company, General Counsel, 1996-1998